Kilombero Plantations Limited (KPL)
Kilombero Plantations Limited (KPL) is the Tanzania subsidiary developing the 5,818 ha Mngeta Farm. 450 km from Dar es Salaam, the largest market, by road and rail, Mngeta is situated in the fertile Kilombero Valley, one of best agro-eco zones for rice farming in East Africa.
Investment to date includes:
• 6,200 m2 warehouse and 2 industrial rice mills
• 3,000 ton automated cleaning and drying facility
• Fleet of John Deere and Claas tractors, planters and combine harvesters
• 500KW biomass gasification plant
• Refurbishment of 320KW mini-hydro station
Commercial Sustainability includes:
• Zero Tillage conservation planting technology
• Farm’s own mini-hydro plant powers operations
• Rice husk furnaces produce heat for drying.
• Rice husk waste converted into clean power through biomass plant.
When fully irrigated, Mngeta Farm will produce annually:
• 35,000 tons of milled rice, or 20,000 tons of milled rice and 30,000 tons of maize, depending on market prices
• 5,000 tons of rotation crops — beans and pulses