Kilombero Plantations Limited (KPL)
Kilombero Plantations Limited (KPL) is the Tanzania subsidiary developing the 5,818 ha Mngeta Farm. 450 km from Dar es Salaam, the largest market, by road and rail, Mngeta is situated in the fertile Kilombero Valley, one of best agro-eco zones for rice farming in East Africa.
Over US $40 million has been invested to date on:
• Land clearance, leveling and preparation
• Fleet of John Deere and Claas tractors, planters and combine harvesters
• 6,200 m2 warehouse and rice mill
• 3,000 ton automated cleaning and drying facility
• Housing, offices and workshops
• Irrigation over 215 ha
Commercial Sustainability includes:
• Zero Tillage conservation planting technology
• Farm’s own mini-hydro plant powers operations
• Rice husk furnaces produce heat for drying.
When fully irrigated, Mngeta Farm will produce annually:
• 35,000 tons of milled rice, or 20,000 tons of milled rice and 30,000 tons of maize, depending on market prices
• 5,000 tons of rotation crops — beans and pulses